Proverbs 5 (Personalized)

I am attentive to Your Wisdom [godly Wisdom learned by actual and costly experience], and  I incline my ear to Your understanding [of what is becoming and prudent for me],

That I may exercise proper discrimination and discretion and my lips may guard and keep knowledge and the wise answer [to temptation].


For the lips of a loose woman drip honey as a honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil;

But in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged and devouring sword.

Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold of Sheol (Hades, the place of the dead).

She loses sight of and walks not in the path of life; her ways wind about aimlessly, and you cannot know them.

Now therefore, I listen to You, and depart not from the words of Your mouth.

My way in life is far from her, and I come not near the door of her house [avoid the very scenes of temptation],

Lest I give my honor to others and my years to those without mercy,

Lest strangers [and false teachings] take their fill of my strength and wealth and my labors go to the house of an alien [from God]—

And I will not groan and mourn when my end comes, my flesh and body will not be consumed,

And You will not say that I hated instruction and discipline, for my heart did not despise reproof!

I have obeyed the voice of my teachers, submitted and consented to those who instructed me.

[The extent and boldness of] my sin does not involve almost all evil [in the estimation] of the congregation and the community.

I will drink waters out of my own cistern [of a pure marriage relationship], and fresh running waters out of my own well.

Should my offspring be dispersed abroad as water brooks in the streets?

[I confine myself to my own spouse] I let my children be for me alone, and not the children of strangers.

My fountain [of human life] be blessed [with the rewards of fidelity], and rejoice in the spouse of my youth.

Let him be as the loving hind and robust buck [tender, strong]—let his strength satisfy me at all times, and always be transported with delight in his love.

Why should I be infatuated with a loose being, embrace the bosom of an outsider, and go astray?

For the ways of man are directly before the eyes of the Lord, and He [Who would have us live soberly, chastely, and godly] carefully weighs all man’s goings.

I am careful to remember that man's own iniquities shall ensnare the wicked him, and he shall be held with the cords of his sin.

I will not die for lack of discipline and instruction, nor in the greatness of  folly. I will not go astray and be lost.

Comments

Popular Posts